PSA: we'd like to confirm that the green-blue stuff in our much-loved Raspberry & Coconut Porridge is NOT mould - it's spirulina, one of our fave superfood ingredients for babies!
We know that the ingredients in some of our meals may sound little 'unfamiliar' to parents in our community.
That's because our top chefs and expert nutritionists work really hard to source the very best ingredients for your little one, which aren't usually found in the baby food you'll find on the supermarket shelves!
We want to share with you a little bit about spirulina and why we love adding small amounts to our baby meals.
What is spirulina?
Spirulina is a blue-green type of algae. Yep, that stuff you see growing on ponds and lakes is PACKED full of nutrients, which makes it a very popular food supplement and health food ingredient.
Originally consumed by ancient Aztecs, Spirulina contains protein, vitamins A,C, E and B-vitamins, copper and iron, as well as small amounts of magnesium, potassium and manganese. It's such a nutrient powerhouse that NASA give it to their astronauts as a supplement on space missions. 🧑🚀
Adults can find spirulina tablets, capsules and powders in health food stores across the UK, and it's become an increasingly popular ingredient in healthy snacks.
Benefits of spirulina
- Spirulina is a vegan source of vitamin B12 - an essential vitamin which is mainly found in meat
- Spirulina contains antioxidants, helping to prevent inflammation and free radical damage to cells
- It's an excellent vegan source of protein, comparable to eggs
- Spirulina offers all of the essential amino acids that you need
- Studies suggest that spirulina can lower 'bad' cholesterol while increasing 'good' cholesterol
- Spirulina has been known to alleviate some allergy symptoms
Gram for gram, spirulina is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on earth, making it an obvious ingredient choice for our meals.
So don't worry if there's a tinge of blue or green on your baby's Raspberry & Coconut Porridge - it's spirulina and it's packed with the good stuff, we promise!
If you're looking for nutrient-dense baby food that offers a variety of organic, plant-based ingredients, we've got you. Try our range of homemade, flash-frozen meals by starting your subscription today.